30 September 2016

Scorched by the fire

It was my friend Melt that pointed out how beautiful the bark looked. I didn't understand: all I saw was the negative side of the recent bushfire.

Charred tree trunk_c
Kodak Cine Anastigmat 63mm f2.7  1/60sec

Fire wilted leaves_c

Kodak Cine Anastigmat 63mm f2.7  1/125sec

Where I walked a few months ago now the fields and forest were all charred by a fire; my eyes were focused on the destruction of the grassy meadows and the green bushes. Then I shifted my concern knowing that it was only natural to have periodical fires go through these places, more so essential to the release of some seed pods.

Scorched trunks_c
Kodak Cine Anastigmat 63mm f2.7  1/640sec


Australian flora has adapted to survive a non devastating fire, where undergrowth get cleaned up and transformed into rich nutrient for the next generation of taller plants. Some seeds need to be exposed to high temperatures to germinate, a from of survival to give the new shoots a chance to become strong enough to survive the next fire.

Life after fire_c
Kodak Cine Anastigmat 63mm f2.7  1/160sec

Now I was observing the saturated deep orange hues of a gumtree that otherwise looks mainly light grey. The charcoal details on trees showed ant activity while the grass was starting to recover with new tender green shoots.

Scorched bark_c
Kodak Cine Anastigmat 63mm f2.7  1/80sec

Ants on charred bark_c
Kodak Cine Anastigmat 63mm f2.7  1/125sec


Burned grasstree_c
Kodak Cine Anastigmat 63mm f2.7  1/500sec


.

No comments:

Post a Comment