31 August 2016

Kodak Cine Anastigmat 63mm

In my discovery of adapting old manual-focus lenses I have come across the wonderful old ones intended for 16mm cinema cameras of the 40's and 50's: specifically the Kodak Ektar and Anastigmat.
It is possible to use them on smaller sensor digital cameras that have a flange distance so much closer than a typical DSLR. Micro 4/3 cameras are ideally suited for these old beauties.
The images that one can produce with them are truly unique, where the edges of the frame start to darken and the background that is not in focus begins to swirl.
Among them I found the Anastigmat 63mm f2.7; a rather long focal length with a unique capability to extend the focusing for close-up subjects.

Butterfly on barley_c

I have tried several times to use modern lenses for details photography and none offer me the ease of use and the instant feedback as much as manual lenses. But the way the out-of-focus background (bokeh) is rendered by the Anastigmat is superb, in my eyes.

Green fluidity_c

Prone to flare, the lens can be used creatively to achieve dreamy soft images, something I can not reproduce with any "app" or post production work. The lens is however hard to use, with its small focus ring and stiff actuation. Not best suited for fast moving subjects.

Red droplets_c
When I want to create a photograph with precise level of blurriness and depth, a touch of vignette or a unique soft bubbly look, I generally reach for the Kodak Anastigmat 63mm f2.7.
And now Petra has discovered the same: it was "love at first click"

Raupe photography
taken with adapted C-mount Cosmicar 50mm f1.4

.

1 comment: